The Met Office is the UK's National Weather Service and reside within the Department for Business Innovation and Skills, operating on a commercial basis under set targets. As a world leader in providing weather and climate services, they employ more than 1,800 at 60 locations throughout the world. They are recognised as one of the world's most accurate forecasters, using more than 10 million weather observations a day, an advanced atmospheric model and a high performance supercomputer to create 3,000 tailored forecasts and briefings a day. These are delivered to a huge range of customers from the Government, to businesses, the general public, armed forces, and other organisations.
There is a wide range of careers options offered by The Met Office. As well as central roles such as technology and marketing, the more specialist roles include:
You require a degree or equivalent in Meteorology, a Physical Science or Maths. As a Met Office forecaster, the main tasks you would carry out would be:
- Delivering a range of forecast products and services tailored to individual customers.
- Analysing and enhancing forecast model products and, using local knowledge, delivering them to customers in a style that suits their requirements.
- Actively contributing to the team decision-making process and issuing weather warnings as necessary.
- Taking responsibility for operational output; the provision of advice and assistance on operational output and getting products and services to internal and external customers.
- Supporting other team members as required to deliver forecast products and services to meet customers' needs.
You require a degree in Maths or Physics. There are a range of roles, many are IT based and focus on the development and maintenance of specialised scientific software applications which underpin Met Office Science Programmes. These roles are called Scientific Software Engineers. Leading-edge science, innovation and research is at the core of their business.
There is a wide range of engineering roles from field service to development to systems, software and installations.