Property & Architecture: A - E
- Allsops. They are a private limited surveying partnership of around 170 staff with the no 1 property auction house and dedicated commercial and residential teams. They normally employ around 4-8 graduates per year. They have 4 offices in the UK (London, Leeds, Brighton and Glasgow). Allsops operate a two-year graduate rotation scheme where you will be given every possible opportunity and resource to help you pass your APC. The scheme includes seats in both the agency and professional disciplines. They encourage you to participate in a practical and active way in the day-to-day workings of the department and you will be given individual responsibility from the start. Your experience will give you the opportunity to learn about all aspects of surveying and the practical skills needed to become a surveyor. They require a 2.1 in a RICS accredited degree.
- BDP. They are a major international, interdisciplinary practice of architects, designers, engineers and urbanists. Graduate recruits join the Introduction to BDP programme and become quickly involved in projects of varying scales and across a diverse range of sectors. BDP has a strong commitment to the development of professionals. Each year they offer a number of bursaries to architects and engineers and offer a wide range of training opportunities and regular CPD sessions, and support the achievement of professional qualifications.
- Berkeley Homes. They are the parent company to some of the Uk's leading residential development companies, such as St Georges and St James. They specialise in the rgeneration of brownfield sites across London and the Southeast. There are roles in technical, commercial, land & planning, sales & marketing and customer services. You will learn the intricacies of the business by working in one of the Berkeley divisions. The group has offices in Abingdon, Leatherhead, Billinghurst, Sevenoaks, Finchley and Battersea. They are looking for degrees in planning, real estate, property development, quantity surveying, construction, architecture, marketing, customer services or a related discipline. They are looking for drive, enthusiasm, confidence and commercially minded individuals. Berkeley Homes Sales Academy
- Berkeley Homes Sales Academy. They do not specify this is a graduate role, not do they require industry or previous sales experience. This scheme will train you to become a professional sales consultant selling prestigious new homes. You need the right attitude and persoanlity with strong customer facing and presentation skills with good commercial acumen. You will receive 3 months intensive training on sales, house building, the buying process, health and safety policies, sales admin and site visits. It will be a mix of onsite and theory.
- BNP Paribas Real Estate. BNP Paribas Real Estate is Europe’s leading provider of integrated commercial real estate services, delivering solutions for property owners, investors and occupiers. From the moment you join the graduate programme you will embark on a training programme to become a chartered surveyor, qualifying typically within two years. You will be given mentor support, full APC training via departmental rotations, APC mock interviews/presentation training and full support with Continuing Professional Development (CPD) lectures.
- Capita Property. They run a range of graduate schemes, with the option to work across both the public and the private sectors, you have the opportunity to gain a broad range of experience on a diverse set of projects. Capita provide study leave, training and development and hands on CPD opportunities.
- Carter Jonas. They are a large property consultant who take on graduates each year and providing a structured training programme. Their business units include: rural, commercial, residential, planning, building & consultancy and minerals & waste.
- CBRE. There are three different routes into the business: Commercial Property, Planning and Building Surveying. Which one you take will depend on your degree ( all require a RICs related degree) and your interests. But each route gives you real work experience in relevant departments that span a whole range of property-related advisory and transactional services. These include Agency, Building Consultancy, Capital Markets, Corporate Finance, Corporate Services, Development, Lease Consultancy and Portfolio Management, Planning, Professional, Property and Asset Management, Rating and Taxation, Research, Tenant Representation and Valuation work. CBRE have 12 offices in the UK – currently recruiting are London, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester.
The two-year Commercial Property programme offers the breadth of experience needed to work across almost all areas of the business. This structured programme focuses on the completion of the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) through the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Throughout the two-years, you can expect to work in a minimum of two departments. These may include: Agency, Development, Investment, Professional and Valuation. The planning programme is designed for graduates wanting to specialise in Planning. It’s located in London. They will help you gain the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) through the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). You'll work within one of the Planning teams throughout your training, alongside internal experts. This Building Surveying programme is for graduates wanting to specialise as Building Surveyors. They will support you in gaining the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) through the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). You'll work within the Building Consultancy department and have opportunities to spend time working in different disciplines. They welcome graduates who hold RICS accredited degrees in building surveying or construction onto this programme.
- Chapman Taylor. They employ part 1 and part ll graduates.
- Colliers International. They are the worlds third largest real estate advisory organisation with over 500 offices across 62 countries, 12 in the UK. Colliers International provides a broad range of real estate consultancy services including general practice surveying, fund management, destination consulting and property co-investment. Their Graduate APC Scheme offers a level of experience that’ll get your real estate career off to a strong start. You could be working on some of the most exciting projects the industry has to offer – and learning from some of the most experienced and respected people within the sector. They have a strong APC support network of APC Assessors and experts within the sector. They offer a structured development programme and access to a variety of internal and external training and Continuous Professional Development (CPD) opportunities.
- Connells. They areone of the country’s largest sellers of new homes acting on behalf of some of the top UK developers as well as many more regional and local house builders. Their graduate programme will train you to become a sales negotiator. Your journey could then lead you to running your own branch. They also provide mortgage services so you could specialise in that area also.
- Countrywide. They operate more than 1,300 estate agency and lettings branches across Britain and are the UK's largest estate agency and property services group. They currently have graduate programmes operating within Lettings, Estate Agency and Surveying. The letting programme is two years and designed to fast track your career into lettings agency retail management.
In the estate agency programme in the first 6 months you will operate as a Sales Negotiator undertaking sales skills training. 6 – 12 months into the Programme you will move to a Senior Negotiator role and start on the Management Development Programme. 12 – 18 months into the Fast Track Management programme you would be expected to be ready to run your own branch as a Branch Manager on successful completion.
Their Graduate Trainee Surveyor programme provides a route to achieve Associate membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- Cushman & Wakefield. There are three possible paths to pursue: Commercial Surveying, Property Finance & Investment or Building Surveying. To qualify as a commercial surveyor, and are looking to study the Commercial Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) Pathway through the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, it doesn’t matter what degree course you are studying. Initially you will be placed into one of the departments in C&W and during the course of your structured APC
training you will gain experience in 3 departments of C&W with 3 x 10 month rotations. You may also experience a regional or international rotation before you qualify and on occasion, you may be offered the opportunity to work on secondment in either a private or public sector organisation. The programme is 2.5 years.
If you are looking to study the Property Finance & Investment Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) Pathway through the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) qualification, it doesn’t matter what degree course you are studying. For the APC qualification, Initially you will be placed into the Corporate Finance team, then experience in 3 teams at C&W with 3 x 10 month rotations. These teams will include two teams within the Corporate Finance department and Cushman & Wakefield Investors (CWI). On occasion, you may be offered the opportunity to work in a CWI office abroad (depending on language skills). Should you wish to sit the CFA (as opposed to the APC) you will remain in the Corporate Finance team whilst completing the CFA.
Building Surveying is one of the most interesting areas of the surveying practice involving end to end involvement in commercial developments beginning with the feasibility stage and continuing through to completion. You will join a specifically tailored training programme which will provide you with all the experience within the Project Management and Consultancy team that you need to ensure that you have the best opportunity to gain your Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) first time. They are looking for cognate graduates in London.
- DTZ. They are a leading global real estate adviser offering comprehensive development to all graduates who wish to progress a career in property. DTZ recruits graduates into the following areas: Commercial Surveying (general practice), Capital Markets (financial consulting), Building Consultancy (Building Surveying), Development Consultancy, Corporate Real Estate Consultancy, Research, Hospitality, Property Management and Finance. They recruit graduates into the UK (various locations), Dublin, China, Hong Kong, Frankfurt & Berlin, Stockholm, Geneva, Warsaw and Doha. They offer two graduate programmes: one for those wishing to qualify as chartered surveyors and another for those looking to follow a career in consultancy. The majority of graduates choose to complete a programme leading to qualification as a chartered surveyor. You will need to decide to which of the following disciplines they wish to pursue: Commercial Property, Building Surveying and Planning & Development. All of these two-year programmes are structured around the APC - a qualification by which you can become chartered surveyors.
Property & Architecture: F - L
- Faithful & Gould. They are one of the world’s leading project consultancies. They offer a graduate development programme for Building Surveyors, Quantity Surveyors and Surveying Project Management. They require to a 2:1 degree in surveying or a construction related discipline but they will also consider applications from non cognate degree holders.
- Foxtons. They offer a number of graduate roles coupled with training. These could be in sales, business development and property negotiation as well as other roles such as editorial and production, property management, marketing, the web, procurement etc. They are looking for motivated and hard working individuals, who are out going with drive, ambition and energy.
- Gardiner & Theobold. They are one of the world’s leading independent construction and property consultancies. Graduate opportunities are available across Cost Management and Project Management divisions throughout the international operation. They expect all graduates to gain chartered status with the RICS and in order to do this they have established a RICS accredited structured training programme that will enable you to qualify in the minimum period of two years.
- Gerald Eve. They are the 3rd largest firm of chartered surveyors and property consultants in the UK with 9 offices. Their two-year graduate trainee programme comprises four six-month rotations; you'll get hands-on experience in a range of areas. Most of the graduates are based in London, there are however other UK locations. From your very first day, you'll be given plenty of responsibility, working on real projects and meeting clients. You'll be out and about on inspections, researching the market and presenting arguments. At the same time, you'll be studying for your APC. They look for candidates who hold a degree or masters in a subject which is accredited by the RICS or RTPI. Its a two-year graduate trainee programme. With four six-month rotations, you’ll get hands-on experience in a range of areas, which will help you decide on the specialism you’d like to pursue in the long-term.
- Grosvenor. Their Graduate Programme ensures that you are equipped with the skills to manage bigger and more complex projects. The structured training programme is designed to provide a comprehensive framework for all candidates seeking RICS qualification. The programme takes you all the way from induction to completion. You will rotate between teams during your training programme to ensure you gain the breadth and depth of experience necessary to achieve the APC competencies and take on real responsibility within each team. Grosvenor has five business areas: Fund Management, Project Management, London Investment, London Development and Outside the London Estate (Grosvenor Developments). To apply for their Graduate scheme, you must have taken part in their Summer Intern Programme.
- GVA. They are an independent form of commercial property consultants. They are a multi discipline practice meaning you get the chance to learn about anything and everything property related, from investment and property management to valuation, business rates and lease consultancy. You'll have a dedicated APC training adviser right from the start, who will guide you through the process. They offer a number of pathways including: Commercial Surveying, Building Surveying, Planning and Development Surveying or Planning. They prefer a 2.1 RICs accredited degree or Masters.
- Hammerson. They createhigh-quality retail property. They own, manage and develop retain property across Europe. Their strategy is to deliver industry leading shareholder returns by maximising income from their retail properties and development pipeline. They look to develop and acquire properties in successful locations and maximise the occupancy and footfall. Through their graduate programme, they are able to support APC pathways in Commercial Property Practice or Planning and Development.
- Jones Laing Lasalle. They offer five schemes: Commercial Practice, allowing you to qualify as a chartered surveyor. It usually takes between 2 and 2.5 years subject to your previous experience and you will have 3 placements during your training. Building Surveying allowing you to qualify as a chartered building surveyor, Quantity Surveying, allowing you to qualify as a chartered quantity surveyor and Project Management, allowing you to qualify as a chartered project manager. For all these 3 areas, it usually takes between 2 and 2.5 years and you will undertake all your training with the Project & Development Services. Planning, allowing you to qualify as a chartered town planner. You will work as part of the Planning Team and be involved in a variety of work including residential, retail, offices and mixed uses. As an international firm, European and International secondments can form part of your career development post qualification.
- Knight Frank. The aim of their graduate programmes is to provide you with a thorough training, focused upon passing the RICS's APC. There are three possible APC pathways: Commercial Property, Residential Property and Residential Survey & Valuation. On the Knight Frank Commercial Property APC scheme, you will complete four, six month rotations, from which you will gain balanced and well-rounded training that includes Valuation, Agency and Professional experience. As an example, during your two year training, your experience will include some of the following competencies: Inspection, Measurement, Valuation, Corporate Estate Management, Development Appraisal, Investment Management, Landlord & Tenant, Leasing/letting, Planning, Property finance, Property management, Purchase & Sale, and strategic real estate consultancy.
On the residential survey and Valuation pathway you will spend the majority of your two-year programme within the Residential Valuations department so that you are able to gain greater knowledge in inspection and building pathology. During your two year training programme you will gain practical experience in the following competencies: Building pathology, Inspection, Valuation, Measurement of land and property, Planning, Investment management, Rural practice, Development appraisals and Landlord and tenant. On the Residential Property pathway you will spend your two-year training programme within the Residential Sales division, to gain experience primarily in estate agency. During your two-year training programme you will gain direct experience in the following competencies: Purchase and sale of residential property, Inspection, Leasing/letting, Measurement of land, Valuation and Property management. During the APC training programme, they also offer graduates the opportunity to rotate in selected European and International offices.
- Lend Lease. Lend Lease currently offers graduate programs in Australia and the UK. They offer programs for graduates looking to kick start their careers in the property and infrastructure market. Lend lease offer specialist market knowledge and an end-to-end range of capabilities, from initial finance through to design and development, project management, construction, asset management and facilities management.
Property & Architecture: M - Z
- NPS Group. They are a national organisation, delivering a comprehensive and flexible range of property services, tailored to meet the needs of both public and private sector clients across the UK. They operate in the following sectors: education, commercial, housing, government and civic & community. The companies within NPS Group are wholly owned by the public sector. They offer integrated design services, surveying & Maintenance, management & consultancy and property for sale or to let. They recruit graduates from all disciplines, offering opportunities to gain relevant experience and providing support towards the achievement of professional qualifications. They have offices throughout the UK, with their head office in Norwich.
- Savills. They offer 4 graduate schemes; Surveying (commercial, residential and development), Rural, Building Surveying and Planning. The Surveying Programme in London, involves a rotation scheme where graduates rotate between different specialist departments across London offices. This will typically involve four-monthly rotations but can sometimes involve longer stays in your allocated departments. The teams span a wide variety of specialism's; Commercial, Residential or Planning and Development or a combination. As a trainee surveyor outside London, you will be given an individually tailored role, which will provide you with excellent experience and increasing levels of responsibility. If you are working towards your APC, in some cases there is an opportunity for rotation to ensure you have sufficient experience.
A career in Planning may be of interest if you have studied social science subjects such as Geography, Planning, Land Management, Urban/Regional Economics or subjects such as Architecture and Urban Design, and indeed within Planning, Savills have Urban Design and Landscape Architecture teams. In the Building Surveying Programme they have opportunities in London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Glasgow and Edinburgh. An individual training programme is developed for you.
To apply for this graduate scheme you will need to hold or be working towards a relevant degree with full RICS exemption. The Rural Graduate Programme will give you exposure to rural estate and environmental management, consultancy and planning, rental and lease review, auctioneering and valuation.
The grad swap scheme gives you the opportunity to work in a different Savills office in another country for one rotation (4 months). Working in a different Savills team you can continue your APC studies whilst you will work and live as your "swap buddy" would have done during this rotation.
- Scott Brownrigg. They provide opportunities for learning and development for students who wish to pursue a career in architecture. They provide a structured programme of sponsorship, training and events to encourage and enable students to increase their knowledge and develop their architectural career from initial interest through to part III qualification and beyond.
- Spicerhaart. They offer a Residential Lettings Graduate Scheme. The aim is to move from residential negotiator to branch manager in 2 years.
- Stride Treglown. Part Two and Part Three students can expect to be working on a project that will give them appropriate in depth experience with the opportunity to work across a range of procurement routes. Where this is not possible, other relevant projects are identified between the mentor/project architect/individual and a programme of shadowing other projects organised.